Google search

Google

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Give em some "credit"!

A few years ago when applying for a job at Citi Mortgage here in the "Falls", I came across an
interesting question on my application. Will you allow Citi corp to review your credit before employment? I was a little taken aback, not to mention nervous, I had just come out of a
divorce where alot of our debts accrued were placed upon my head, I was looking for work after being a housewife for 2 years to pay off those debts.

Citi did accept my application and I joined the workforce happily. However my job there
was under contract as a temporary position. 9 months later my job came to term and I was
left seeking a permanent full time job. With a substantial amount of the (credit card and utility)
debts paid off, I was happy to find something I enjoyed. I'm a "rocker" at heart, I love music
in all it's forms. My friend was a manager at Hot Topic up in the mall and suggested
I come work for her. I put in my application , went through the meet and greet process and only minor sign on paper work was needed to be an employee.


After a time, the district manager took me aside and explained she could not employ me
because of my credit history. I explained about my divorce and that I had worked the last
9 months to pay off over 85% of those debts. She shook her head and referred to medical
bills that were accrued by my sons visit and stay at Benefis due to having RSV. Only
half of the bill was covered by my insurance the other half unknown to us had made it's way to credit.

The reason I was not employable is that I was a liability to the store. Never mind that
before staying at home with my kids. I had been a store manager for circle K and came
with good references (extremely dependable, comes in when needed, covers other shifts when no show) were only some of the references given by the district Manager, All of my registers
were always on and never a shortage. I was now a liability because of an illness.

Apparently this is a popular trend about 64% of the nations companies do it.
But what about the backlash? I can understand high tech and banks doing it. But in the
service industries where people who tend to have more debt (because of lower wages)
makes almost no sense. Most people are employed to pay off debts. Not everyone who
has debts are thieves or book roasters.

We have credit checks run on basic needs such as rentals and Jobs. What happens when
we start denying both of these because of credit? Will this trend lead to more unemployed
people living off tax dollars, low income housing and shelters? When does the government
put a foot in and say there are other ways to judge character? I am a little bitter because I
was denied, but I am no longer in a single family household and I supplement cost with
photography. But it is a worrisome thought when you think about it.

1 comment:

ZenPanda said...

It is a worrisome thought. I'm very worried.