Google search

Google

Friday, September 28, 2007

Residents "Howling" for peace.

So down to the wire it's a slow news day. No burning buildings, car accidents. murders or gossip making columns. That's a good thing, I believe. So I thought I would address an all to common nuisance here in town. Howling, Barking and yelping dogs.

When my family went shopping for a dog this year, we went to the pound, Jacks, Pet-cetera, The newspaper and flyer's at stores. We searched high and low and found nothing. We returned to the pound after a week of searching everywhere else and we found "Dusty", A 7 year old healer, Shepard X. Quiet and obedient, she was wonderful with our boys and cat so we adopted her.

One of "Dusty's" most appealing traits is her quiet personality. While she barks lightly at play, she is not an outdoor barker. To me the consideration of neighbors was a biggy in finding a family companion.
As of late I have seen and heard numerous dogs just left to bark. Living close to the hospital the dogs in the area are agitated by ambulances and helicopters as the arrive at their destination. Frequently in the wee hours of the morning an ambulance may approach the hospital and then it's a serenade of dogs barking and howling. There are at least 9 dogs in my area like this.

but I know I am not the only one in the position of such. City ordinance states that barking dogs are a nuisance and the owner will be held responsible.

you can find the ordinance here...Section 14

But as a pet owner, I would think it is common sense. There are many reasons why I personally would not leave my dog to bark through the night.
1. I get annoyed easily
2. I have respect for my neighbors.
3. My pet is family, she is given the comforts of family ( a warm space to sleep, water, food, attention and love)

Some of the habitual barkers in my area, I notice are never inside a house, I rarely see human contact, they have no shelter. It's not to imply that ALL habitual barkers are not cared for. Usually cared for habitual barkers owners take steps to keep them from barking, muzzles and or training.

The other question I want to have answered is, why are these people not dealt with? The ordinance states that they will be, but I have yet to be interviewed as ordinance states neighbors will be. Inevitably the owners need to step up and take responsibility.

1 comment:

ZenPanda said...

The dogs in my neighborhood with this bad habit are the one who are left in the yard as well.
I applaud you for thinking of your neighbors while finding your new family member.